SEO Professionals are always under pressure as they work for months and wait for the results.
Measuring their SEO project performance is mandatory. Unfortunately, there are different metrics to look at when you are tracking SEO performance i.e. rankings, traffic, leads, conversions etc.
In this article, I am going to talk about only one important metric i.e. page level organic traffic growth month over month.
To create a month over month traffic report for all pages of your website from Google Analytics will take a lot of time.
Here I am going to share a simple Google Analytics Custom Report which can be done in 10 Minutes.
How will you get benefit from this report?
- You will know which pages are performing well – ( can be created more like these pages for good traffic growth.)
- You will know which pages are lost traffic – ( you can work on those pages to improve traffic)
- You will know which pages dead i.e. not giving any traffic – ( you can delete or rebuild those pages from scratch)
Let’s start the implementation:
Step 1: Login to your Google Analytics account and Select the Website to create Performance Report of it.
Step 2: In Analytics, Now Create a Custom Report to get Performance Report Data.
Select > CUSTOMIZATION > Click on “Custom Reports” then Select “+New Custom Report”
Step 3: Create the custom report by filling and selecting the following fields, Dimensions, and Metrics.
- Title – Name of the Report
- Name – Name of the Report Content
- Type – Flat Table
- Dimensions – Landing Page, Month of Year (Not “Month of the Year”).
- Metrics: Organic Searches.
Step 4: Select the Date Range of the site and Click on “Apply”. For example, I usually prefer 1-year data to measure.
Step 5: Now, Click on “Show More” at the bottom and select the maximum value and Click on “Export” to download the data.
Step 6: Lets, Create the Website Performance Report
Open Downloaded Data in Excel.
- Now, Go to “Insert” tab and Select “Pivot table”.
- Select the Complete data table range and arrange the Fields as per below image.
- In Columns – month of year, In Rows – Landing page, and In Values – Organic Searches.
Note: In values box, it should be “Sum of Organic Searches” not “Count of Organic Searches “
Step 7: Now Calculate “Max traffic” and “Drop” to measure your website Performance.
After Creating Pivot Table, Copy All Data and Paste in New Sheet (Note: Paste as Values). Modify the Row Labels into Readable (like this 201611 to Jan-16).
- MaxTraffic – =Max(Row Range) Except Grand Total
- Drop – =Max Traffic – Recent Month Traffic (Comparision of Max traffic and Present Traffic)